[opensuse-factory] Re: XFCE upcoming / planned stuff
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 17:50:50 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 17:41:36 +0200,
Stefan Seyfried wrote:

Hi,

(cc'ing Takashi, who does not yet know about my plans even though we are
co-maintaining X11:xfce ;-)

Now that the XFCE stuff in Factory is somewhat reasonably current, I'd like
to propose a change in the default setup.
I'd like to switch to the whiskermenu panel plugin
(https://gottcode.org/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin/) as a default start menu.

Existing setups will not be changed, just the default for new users.

Sounds like a good idea. I know that you worked on that stuff.

The way this would be achieved would be a change in xfce4-branding-openSUSE
package (actually
xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE) to the panel config, and that package then
would get a "Requires:
xfce4-panel-plugin-whiskermenu".
This requires would lead to ~500kB wasted space for people who do not want
to use whiskermenu, but that's it, it won't
do no harm otherwise.

Can't it be Recommends instead? Then you can add a lock to zypper
and it keeps working without complaints.

Thinking of this again, if we switch the initial default to
whiskermenu, it should be Requires, unless the default setup could
detect the installation and adjust it smartly.

Takashi