Re: [opensuse-factory] Firefox under TW
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:34:16 +0200

Another one that makes memory usage go high is addblockplus, and
possibly all similar addons.

This was documented and widely-discussed a few years ago.

https://lifehacker.com/adblock-plus-once-again-found-to-dramatically-increase-1576341872
This Just In: AdBlock Plus Still Uses a Lot of Memory
5/14/14 1:30pm

Around that time, I switched to uBlock Origin. After a short
experimental period, I switched all my machines and those of many
friends and clients.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Beware -- *not* uBlock, an old, unmaintained fork.

https://www.ublock.org/

The other alternative is to install Privoxy and configure your system
proxy to go through it. It does not do such a thorough job but it takes
little in the way of resources.

It's in the TW repos.

https://www.privoxy.org/

Set your proxy server to localhost:8118 and you're done.

To test, access privoxy.org/config -- it intercepts this URL and
displays a locally-generated status page.