Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Proposed relocation of /var/lib/rpm
On 2017-10-04 12:59:34 +0000, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 14:37 +0200, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
tbh ... /etc/rpm/db would be a path i could live with ...
/usr/share/rpm
feels wrong to me. this is a path where i would expect static data.

/etc feels wrong in different ways: the rpm db is not any file we
expect an admin to go fiddle and change content of it

Most correct would likely be /usr/lib/something - but what is the
benefit over /usr/share (except improved feeling) compared to being
able to share patchwork with another distro?

/usr is more or less static for me. no modified data in it. /etc/ is
configuration at least. and the admin *does* fiddle with the files in
/etc/rpm/db/ ... via the rpm utility. not all files in /etc/ are being
edited with $EDITOR. Just to name one example: tzselect.

which also bring the question ... does someone have a reference to the
fedora/redhat discussion about this subject? it might short cut the
whole discussion.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux