Re: [opensuse-factory] Firefox under TW
On 10/04/2017 09:29 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
Dear all,

I notice the last few days that firefox has developed an appetite for
memory. Starting FF with one page uses between 650-750 MB, with three
pages It is using already 1.7+GB!! Yesterday I had around 5-6 pages with
a memory consumption of 3.5 GB!!

Could be some extension that recently updated itself? The firefox
version in TW is still 52.X ESR so I would be surprised if there was
some minor security update that suddenly started to eat memory that much.

This is of course ridiculous and starts me thinking of using another,
more modest, browser.

Consider switching to version 56 from the mozilla factory repo. I did
that just few days ago (because of CPU usage and general sluggishness,
not RAM), and it's really a big difference. Upcoming 57 should be even
better. Yeah there is the downside with "legacy extensions" which still
work in 56 but will stop working in 57, so depends if you use any and
sacrifice this. And IIUC starting the 56 version will convert your
profile so you can't go back to 52, so consider a backup first.

In any case I hope that TW will switch to 56+ soon, it's a shame that
rolling distro is stuck on year old version...

Vlastimil

So, what is going on?

Regards,
Frans.