Re: [opensuse-factory] Cups behaviour in actual TW
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 12:53:19 +0100
Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On dimanche, 1 octobre 2017 19.37:11 h CEST Axel Braun wrote:
Hi,
I have to admit that I'm not printing that much...so the issue may already
be older

In current TW there is CUPS 2.2.3 installed. I originally had only one
network printer (Queue: MFC9340CDW) defined, using a lpd connection to
lpd:// 192.168.1.103/binary_p1
Works properly.

Now a second printer shows up - same device, different name
(Brother_MFC_9340CDW) connecting to
ipp://BRW3C77E658BC0F.local:631/ipp/print
This one is probably auto-detected, but not working properly (test page is
empty)

I did have issues with my TW laptop for some time now, where I had to restart
cups after a suspend-to-ram, else it wouldn't find my (remote) printers
anymore....
I don't print that much either, so it was only a minor nuissance.

I can also confirm this strange behaviour under plasma
All my printing goes to my print server which export 2 printers.

I have both of them visible, but now cups insist to recreate that printer
ipp://bla.local:631/ipp/port1

Huh, so I restarted cups to check, and now instead of seeing the two printers
my print server exports, samsung and samsung_color, I get an
Samsung_CLP_620_Foomatic_pxlcolor_royac6_royac_iac_es

WTF, do you want me to type this in an lpr command line!? Why does it
suddenly create this stupid names? And why don't I get the two different
printqueues that my server exports? This is ******