Re: [opensuse-factory] Can I remove locks in TW
On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 12:27 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:

We have three levels in package dependencies:

Requires: the application cannot operate without this dependency
Recommends: The application/package is usable, but can miss
features.
It's up to the packagers to get a balance here
Suggests: Additional enhanced features can be added as suggests; An
application can potentially do even more than what a majority
expects
of it.

No doubt, though: some packages are a bit eager in recommending
other
things (e.g. xmlto, converting xml files to other formats,
recommending
texlive, really?)

That is not my package, but I personally avoid suggests since there
is
no support for them in YaST2. That means they are invisible to most
users.

Adding recommends instead is approching the issue from the wrong angle
though.

Let alone that yast DOES show suggests (in the Dependencies tab of a
package; but one can't pick and chose there)

So, the goal must be to improve the UI, and not use recommends in place
of suggests (always keeping in mind: recommends are default auto-
installed, suggests are to suggest to the user that something else
might make sense too)

Cheers
Dominique
< Previous Next >