Re: [opensuse-factory] RHEL dumps Btrfs and replaces it with Stratis
On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23 September 2017 at 21:52, Roman Bysh <geeko.tor@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Looks like Redhat will no longer use Btrfs in their next release and has
replaced it with Stratis.
Stratis appears to be an XFS derivative designed by Redhat.

Can we see this as an option for openSUSE in the future?

My answer will be the same as normally

If someone contributes it to openSUSE, yes

If no one contributes it to openSUSE, no

I am not aware of anyone working on it for openSUSE at this time.

For what it's worth, it's not even in *Fedora* yet because Stratis is
written in Rust, and the required Rust packaging work was delayed
until Fedora 28. The only blockers on the openSUSE side right now are
supporting the new rich dependencies without breaking the Tumbleweed
compose (aka, new product builder), which I think is supposed to be
deployed by now, and RPM supporting with/without rich operators, which
is in RPM 4.14, which should be making its way into Tumbleweed and
SLE/Leap 15 soonish.