Re: [opensuse-factory] About Leap maintenance : bsc not authorized
On vendredi, 15 septembre 2017 13.20:52 h CEST Andreas Stieger wrote:
Hello Bruno,

Hi Andreas, thanks for your awnsers.

On 09/15/2017 12:38 PM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
There's an increase in the number of bsc bnc boo related to Maintenance
import from SLE on Leap.

Most of the ticket, which would be the source of informations are hidden
(even after a login as normal openSUSE user).

That'll be items in SLE development, support/L3 and partner reported bugs.

So we forbid users to have a look at the changes, which is not in favor of
chain of trust and openess attitude.

You make it sound more closed than it really is. The source changes are
public in the build service:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/openSUSE:Maintenance:7263
osc rdiff openSUSE:Leap:42.3/squid openSUSE:Leap:42.3:Update/squid.7263
https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/openSUSE:Maintenance:7263/squid.ope
nSUSE_Leap_42.3_Update?linkrev=base&rev=2

Yes I made it, on a non offensive way, the information and links you give can
really make a difference between damn I can't know state to ok I can preview
(means before installing patch or update) and know what it will imply.

Let keep osc rdiff as a more hackish tool or advanced admin, I would like to
have anwser to legitimate end-users, who ask why they can't know before
installing.

So we're not so far to have a working solution.

If you pick any security,maintenance email, beside the link to bsc,bnc,boo,
WE should find a way to give this maintenance link back to the mail.

For example I do the dumb test of picking with the iproute2 announcement

Announcement ID: openSUSE-RU-2017:2492-1
Rating: low
Affected Products:
openSUSE Leap 42.3
openSUSE Leap 42.2

zypper in -t patch openSUSE-2017-1052=1

There's no direct link between the maintenance incidents and number present
here, that I was able to find.

So to make happy everybody, and keep the process as it is, will we able to
create (automagically in some sort of) this back link in the annonce email ?

Afterward, the information is here, not hidden ;-)

All running incidents:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/maintenance_incidents/openSUSE:Maintenanc

Yeha another link that merit more advertisement.

All binaries and sources:
http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.3-test/

So would it be possible to have a damn bot, with simple rights which
should
reject any submission to Leap if issues are not opened ?

Solution before problem? You seem to drastically underestimate the level
of automation involved when importing updated sources from
SUSE:SLE-12*:Update into openSUSE:Maintenance incidents. That was a
major point of Leap, by the way.

Re-arranging the references in the spec files, patch comments,
changelogs and update descriptions to refer to a cloned bug is
unfeasible. The import is source diff based, so is the harmonization
effort between SLE and openSUSE. The alternative, opening all bugs by
default, including pre-release and enterprise product areas, would be a
massive change to processes. I am not sure that this will be answered in
favor.

Having meaningful package changelog entries and maintenance update
descriptions is a good compromise, beyond the available sources and
review team inclusion.

Andreas
I would like again to thank you about bringing this part from the inside.
All your arguments make sense, and are good to keep Leap shaped as it is.
So I killed a second time my stupid idea of bots.
I would also like to shutdown my frustration when people ask me why, and have
a nice way to answer them. Because we're the best distribution, project around
;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch