Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: kmail hangs with 100% CPU
  • From: Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 12:24:40 +0200
Am Dienstag, 12. September 2017, 20:22:56 CEST schrieb Achim Gratz:
Well, I moved the old one back for now. Anyway, I'm curious to know
what data I'd supposedly lose by doing that.

I answered a similar question here recently:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-08/msg00623.html

There may be other things stored in the database though, in general I would
expect this to be the case for all "special" things that are not supported by
the "conventional" storage backends (maildir, IMAP, ...), e.g. certain mail
flags that are not supported by your IMAP server, custom tags, things like
that.
If that could be a problem for you depends on your usage I suppose.

I don't think this describes the same situation. In that bugreport,
mysqld and akonadi eat CPU and do disk I/O. In my case it's kmail alone
(and no I/O I can see).

Well, you did mention high CPU usage and disk I/O by Akonadi and mysql too in
your original mail...
But ok, I read it completely again, and those problems apparently seem to be
fixed by removing the database.

If its actually kmail that uses up the CPU now, I highly doubt that switching
the Akonadi database backend would have any effect though.
Kmail only talks to Akonadi, not the database backend.

As a side-note:
The mysql errors mentioned do sound to me like the database got corrupted
somehow... (the mysql internal part, not Akonadi's tables)

Is there a way to figure out what kmail tries
to do?

Getting a backtrace with gdb, as Luca wrote.

According to your problem description, it might be somehow related to message
threading/grouping though, so try to turn that off maybe and see if it helps.
I.e. try to switch to one of the "flat" options in
View->Message List->Aggregation.

Another thing that would probably be worth a try is to rename
~/.local/share/kmail2/ and/or the settings file
(~/.config/kmail2rc).
I think I heard about problems with corrupted autosaved mails in the past, and
I think saved searches can (or could in the past) also cause such problems,
but I'm not sure at the moment where those are saved as I never used them
myself (maybe ~/.local/share/kmail2/ as well).
Although, IIUIC the problem only occurs with certain mail folders, so that
probably won't help then.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang