Re: [opensuse-factory] Maintainer wanted for rzsz and wvdial
On 09/04/2017 10:58 AM, Brüns, Stefan wrote:
Does anyone still do that? I haven't used dial up for almost 15 years.
My cell phone provides a network connection.
Connecting the computer to the internet using my mobile phone, yes. But I
have
not seen a mobile phone which exposes an actual modem for years, but some
kind
of ethernet connectivity, i.e. WLAN and/or Ethernet-over-USB (ECM).

For USB-WWAN sticks (which do expose a modem(-lookalike)), I prefer using
ModemManager + NetworkManager. Works great, and provides me with realtime
information about the physical layer connection (2G, 3G, 4G, signal strength,
...).

Years ago, I had a cell phone that could be a dial up modem, but never
used it for that. When I connect to my current phone, via USB cable, I
get a standard DHCP/IPv4 connection (newer phones can also provide
IPv6). I can also configure my phone as a WiFi access point. I've used
both methods.