Re: [opensuse-factory] Packages from OBS repositories
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2017 19:53:44 +0200
On 2017-09-01 13:48, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2017-09-01 13:35, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne pátek 1. září 2017 13:28:08 CEST, Jan Engelhardt napsal(a):
On Friday 2017-09-01 10:39, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Recently on Leap 42.3 release party in Prague, some SUSE developers
were
wondering which packages do people need from OBS. I don't know how
far
this
idea goes, but some people would prefer as many packages as
possible
directly in Factory

No news here. People have always wanted that. And the response
always
was: submit to Factory. And then people suddenly fall silent.

IMHO package maintainer/owner should do that. I don't feel to submit
someone's else package to Factory...

Well, contact the maintainer, and find an agreement. If they don't
care about Factory, it is still your turn.

No, as a user, it is never my turn.

What? You can't be serious. Would you accept this when someone would
tell
you it's never your turn? Come on. Get real.

No, it is never my turn to package software in factory if I don't have
that skill. You can not ask me to do that. You can ask me other things.

Yes, f.e. ask you to ask someone who has the skills, and provide her/him
with all the info you've got, offer to help testing etc etc. Doing such
is a thing is as much a valued contribution as the packaging itself.
Please, get this "devs/packagers vs. users" kind of statements, they do
not fit the way our community works. And leave out the "Ivory Tower"
remarks.

Please, it goes both directions.

Carlos, no matter how much I appreciate your efforts to contribute/support the
community and it's products ( i know we share the same loyatly towards the
openSUSE Project ) , what I don't understand is the "Why" of using terms like
"Ivory Tower" for,. Please also know that Richard's position is a vulnarable
one: Anybody can call him { or any other representatiive / Board member ) an
asshole or incompetent, yet nobody would acceot a re-rant,.
IMO one of the things we, as a community are doing right, is to be frriendly
towards our (new) members. Let's not spoil thart by picking individuals

Please, please, please., let's keep this the warm, friendly community it's
always been, give respect to anybody who deserves it. No matter what they do.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team