Aw: Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed installation topics with Snapshots 2018082x
  • From: ub22@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 18:15:55 +0200
Hi Neil,

excuse my late answer - but my WebMailClient shows no threads :-/

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. August 2017 um 17:50 Uhr; Von: "Neil Rickert"
On 08/30/2017 08:44 AM, ub22@xxxxxxx wrote:

1. Generation from bootable USB 3.0 memory device with ImageWriter
was quite easy - but on the end, I can't see if this was well
finished (closed without any remark - e.g. please remove device
/dev/sdx - programming well finished)

Is this "ImageWriter" in Windows or "ImageWriter" in opensuse?

OpenSUSE

I used "ImageWriter" once (in opensuse), but it was long ago and I don't
remember the details.

I normally use "dd_rescue" from the command line. And when I see the
prompt for the next command, I know it is safe to remove the USB.

OK, but I only know the ImageWriter solution like described on Tumbleweed
Portal. Standard dd seems to be not working (or I do something wrong)

2. Boot with EFI security works fine, but it starts as default in
installation mode - from my point of view, it is better to wait
unlimited - due to a longer installation, the reboot back in
installation first step without any remark also confused me
and I don't know if the installation was well done

This is very unclear (hard to follow).

At one time, I had a computer that was configured with the USB as first
in boot order. After installing, on reboot, I had to quickly unplug the
USB, and perhaps do CTRL-ALT-DEL to start another reboot. Otherwise it
would boot the installer again.

Yes, this was the topic. But this is not the main cause.
Its not nice, to automatic reboot (in the past this was needed, to
continue the configuration. But with the newest versions, this was
from my point of view finished before reboot. So it was only need
to remove the reboot on the end of the well done installation.

4. After this, I changed the from my point of view to a better
drive/partition mapping with encryption and using the more
stable ext4 (due to full root drive issues more than 5 times
in the past with the beta or buggy btrfs).
But the main issue is, that I can enter a password e.g. with
ä,ö,ü or simple y/z. If I test the correct entry also later
in the user field - it works fine (due to the usage from
correct German keyboard layout).

My understanding is that it is best to use only standard ASCII
characters for the encryption key, because it isn't always clear which
alphabet is in used when prompted for the key.

Yes, sure. But also ASCII characters like Z and Y are on different
locations on an English or German keyboard (so Z is more often used
in German like Y - vice versa in English), the keyboard designers
in the past have exchanged the position :-/

5. Selection from my unchanged preferred desktop KDE and
installation - works still fine. Only in version from 20180822,
also automatically the grub was switcht to password security
(but not shown nicer in overview nor in configuration window).

If you use encryption (such as an encrypted LVM), but do not use a
separate unencrypted partition for "/boot", then grub will prompt for
the encryption key so that it can read the boot menu. From your
description, it looks as if this is what happened in your case.

No, afterwords it works fine (but I installed it only some times,
so that I can't say this was guaranteed), but this is still working
correct in the other versions 20180823 and 20180825. So no action
needed from my point of view.