[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 201/35
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

Uh-oh – that was a slow weel in Tumbleweed. Only a single snapshot
(0825) has been sent out to the mirrors. Some more had been built and
discarded. Reasons were rather

The reasons were pretty simple: with the introduction of the package
dnf, that uses some of the new rpm boolean dependency operators (new
since rpm 4.13), we ended up having metadata n the repository that is
well understood by Tumbleweed systems, but not by any system one might
want to upgrade to Tumbleweed (Think Leap 42.x). The final solution
will be to finish the migration to the new product-builder, and thus
using pure rpm-md repositories, but that is still a few days/weeks
away. In the meantime, we disabled those boolean dependencies in DNF
(as an acceptable workaround). Of course, it took me two snapshots to
get this right – and then openQA bailed on us: the disk is showing
major corruptions and the database throws errors. The heroes are
currently looking into this issue – and once ready, we should be able
to resume normal operations (all previous snapshots will be merged into
one larger update)

Snapshot 0825 already was quite big too, as it updated those
components:

* Mozilla Thunderbird 52.3.0
* KDE Applications 17.08.0
* KDE Frameworks 5.37.0
* KDE Plasma 5.10.5
* cURL 7.55
* gcc 7.2 rc
* glibc 2.26

As openQA is currently down, that unfortunately also means the Factory
staging dashboard is unavailable, which makes me have to tell the ‘what
is coming up section’ from memory. Certainly, I’ll miss a few things,
but I remember:

* gpg 2.2
* Linux kernel 4.12.9 (in the next snapshot to be released) and
4.12.10 in planning
* PHP5 is scheduled for removal from Tumbleweed – Move your setups
already now to PHP7

I’m sure there are more things happening – some of them probably also
longer lasting (like OpenSSL 1.1 as default migration), but as said,
with openQA and the dashboard being unavailable, the above are the
things I recall from memory.

I’m sure the issues will be resolved soon – and Tumbleweed will start
to have even more frequent releases again.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >