Re: [opensuse-factory] *Updated* NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for Tumbleweed ...
On 27/08/17 03:51 AM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On samedi, 26 août 2017 16.01:31 h CEST Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On mardi 15 août 2017 14:18:04 CEST Stefan Dirsch wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Since today there are updated NVIDIA gfx driver RPMs available for
>> Tumbleweed. Feel free to give them a/another try by adding the repository
>> manually via
>>
>>    zypper ar https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed
>>
>> nvidia-tumbleweed
>>
>> (if not created yet) and install them via
>>
>>    zypper inr
>>
>> (or "zypper up", if already installed)
>>
>> The kernel module is being built during installation (as it's done with
>> the
>> Leap packages). But the kernel module is also being rebuilt and
>> reinstalled
>> after a kernel update has been done, since we don't necessarily keep the
>> kABI stable for TW. This has been implemented by making use of RPM's
>> trigger scripts.
>>
>> Issues fixed in this update:
>>
>> - gdm could not be started
>
>> Known issues/limitations:
> There was a package update to 384.69.
> Don't install it if you're using KDE. It causes segfaults in
> kscreenlocker_greet (the process that spawns and asks for your password when
> your session is locked).
>
> Also read https://bugs.kde.org/384005
>

> Christophe

Unfortunately, once installed there's no way to go back.
Perhaps something that could be improved (if nvidia agree), is to have at
least two version of the driver.
So in such case, impacted users can downgrade easily.

btw: screen locker crash here too.

For the time being. You could always remove the rpms and use
the .run drivers downloaded from the Nvidia site. ;-)

--
Cheers!

Roman