Re: [opensuse-factory] Changing Architecture level for 32bit x86 to x86-64
On August 16, 2017 7:08:21 PM GMT+02:00, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 2017-08-16 09:29, Richard Biener wrote:

Recent thread here that may indicate other users or would-be users
using TW
because 32-bit was dropped from "Distribution" releases:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-08/msg00105.html

Yes, I saw that. I'm not suggesting to drop 32bit, I'm just
suggesting
to drop support for CPUs that are very old.

I wonder why IA-32 (on a 64-bit CPU, mind you - since that's your SLE
use case)
suddenly is so important that fpmath=sse needs to be turned on.

I am not aware of anybody wanting to force fpmath=sse to be the default.

If it is, can't the few IA-32 packages be built as another offering?
Declare
%optflags pentium4 in the prjconf, make pentium4 a recognized zypper
and OBS
scheduler architecture value, enter it into mkbaselibs, and then let
`rpmbuild
--target=pentium4` work its magic (because rpm can already do that).

It's what these things are for IMO. (See also: rpm's ppc64 <-> ppc64p7,
sparc64 <-> sparc64v, ...)

We're trying to remove complexity, not add.

Richard.