Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper dup and the "upgrade workflow"
Tristan Miller composed on 2017-08-15 22:00 (UTC+0200):

I recently attempted to upgrade openSUSE 13.2 to openSUSE Tumbleweed
using the procedure described at
<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_upgrade>. That page
defines "upgrade" as "moving from an older openSUSE release (eg.
openSUSE 13.2 or Leap) to Tumbleweed" and describes two "supported
upgrade mechanisms", including one called "online upgrade". This
"online upgrade" mechanism involves replacing all the old Zypper
repositories with Tumbleweed repositories and then running "zypper dup".

When I ran into trouble with the "online upgrade" process, I filed a
bug report and was chastised by a developer for using the "zypper dup"
command instead of following the "upgrade workflow" ....

IMO that page ought to be modified. I haven't done it mainly because I've not
seen discussion about what ought to be different and what pitfalls might be
associated with deviating from what's there now.

One potential pitfall that I know of is virtually unavoidable. Dup insists,
except when using it on an already existing TW, on removing all prior kernels.
IMO it ought to leave the last one at least until the new one has been able to
boot successfully. Thus, anticipating this, I prepare for it by first renaming
the latest kernel, initrd and modules directory last thing before starting the
upgrade process. Once I know the new kernel/initrd work I either restore the
original names, or delete them.

I've had many successes with online upgrades, but I modify that page's online
procedure by only running the dup after first running this script that I call
zypstart:

#!/bin/sh
zypper -v in zypper libzypp libsolv-tools rpm openSUSE-release
zypper -v in device-mapper dmraid glibc lvm2 multipath-tools mdadm systemd udev

This gets the package management system and nominal other basics' upgrades done
first.

Next I run 'zypper up', and only /then/ run 'zypper dup'.

Going from 13.2 to TW is something I likely have not done. I did use it
"successfully" (with maybe minor quibbles, but no boot failures) several times
going from 13.1 and 13.2 to various Leap releases.

Note that I don't limit this procedure to version upgrades, but adopted it
originally for keeping Factory up-to-date, many many moons ago. This procedure
has worked so well for me that I cannot remember even /if/ I ever tried the
offline upgrade procedure. It certainly would have been at least 3 years ago, if
ever.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/