Re: [opensuse-factory] [Leap 42.3] VirtualBox does not start up
On 14/08/17 02:47 PM, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017, 20:26:42 +0200, Roman Bysh wrote:
> On 14/08/17 02:21 PM, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
>> [...]
>> What does the following show on your system:
>>
>> rpm -V virtualbox virtualbox-host-kmp-default virtualbox-qt
>>
>> Please run the command as user root. The "Tip!" above might actually
>> help to resurrect the situation for you:
>>
>> zypper in --force virtualbox virtualbox-host-kmp-default virtualbox-qt
>>
>> Afterwards you could re-run the "rpm -V ..." command above and compare
>> outputs.
>>
>> If you suspect that some permissions are wrong for some programs, you
>> can also check for that (again as "root"):
>>
>> chkstat --system
>>
>> If this indicates something *is* wrong, you can even set the permissions
>> to their proper value (also as "root"):
>>
>> chkstat --system --set
>>
>> HTH, cheers.
>>
>> l8er
>> manfred
>>
> rpm -V virtualbox virtualbox-host-kmp-default virtualbox-qt
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions
0750)
> /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox should be root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong
permissions 0750)

Thx. This indeed appears to be wrong. Do you have a group "vboxusers" on
your system, and are you (your user ID) member of that group? You can
check that by running the following command as "root":

grep vboxusers /etc/group

If the output shows something like

vboxusers:x:SOMENUMBER:YOURUSERNAME

you're OK. If the group exists, but you're not member of it, you can fix
that by running the following command as "root":

usermod -a -G vboxusers YOURUSERNAME

In any case, the permissions appear to be wrong on your system, so I'd
suggest you either re-install the packages ("zypper in ..." above), or
get the permissions fixed for the already installed packages ("chkstat
--system --set").

Once this has been done, you should logout from your desktop session and
login again. If this still doesn't help, you should send us the
following:

id # run as your normal user, not "root", not via "sudo"
chkstat --system # run this as "root"

Cheers.

l8er
manfred

Looks like the comman "chkstat --system --set" fixed the problem.

Thanks Manfred

Cheers!

Roman