Re: [opensuse-factory] Next steps for Firefox on TW
Am 11.08.2017 um 09:51 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
Hi,

I was pinged several times during the last weeks why Firefox is on ESR
on TW and when it will be updated.
As the current round of updates (to 52.3 and 55) is no done it's time to
pick up the discussion again> ...
So to summarize it all leads to the current state and proposal:

- it's technically possible to update MozillaFirefox to 55.0 now
- I will add Firefox ESR as a _new_ package to TW called firefox-esr
(recognize the small inconsistency in naming but MozillaFirefox is
called like that for historical reasons. It provides also "firefox" as
virtual name since many many years.) (still can be discussed)
- the result is that current MozillaFirefox users will be upgraded to
latest version and people who want to stay with ESR need to act.
- there is one main question which I'm a bit undecided still:
How to handle parallel installations? Do we want to allow that?
This will need some patching work since otherwise both will run on the
same profile. That is also the reason why switching between both is
dangerous (remember the incompatible statement above).
There is a technical way to circumvent this (still to be verified) by
changing the profile patch for ESR away from .mozilla to something
else (.mozilla-esr?) but this will be an openSUSE specific thing!

So this would be my proposal but I'm still looking for feedback
especially to the last item.
If possible please keep replies focused to the topic.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Maybe a little bit OT, but important (for me):

I just upgraded my FF to version 55 on Tumbleweed from the Mozilla repo
to test it.
This replaced java 1.8 with java 9. And with this version of java 9 java
webstart (javaws) is not available or still linked to java 1.8, which
does not work any more.
Will this java upgrade happen, when FF 55 comes to Tumbleweed?
I need to use java webstart and if it doesn't work with FF 55 it is a
blocker for me.

regards,
Hendrik