Re: [opensuse-factory] Next steps for Firefox on TW
Hello,

Am Freitag, 11. August 2017, 09:51:37 CEST schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:

- (almost) missing NPAPI support:
I know there are quite some people who rely on Java plugins still.
This fact leads to a requirement to add Firefox ESR to TW in
parallel. (Please let me know if you don't think so ;-))

Personally I don't need it - but I understand that some people might
still need it.

- there is one main question which I'm a bit undecided still: How to
handle parallel installations? Do we want to allow that? This will
need some patching work since otherwise both will run on the same
profile. That is also the reason why switching between both is
dangerous (remember the incompatible statement above).
There is a technical way to circumvent this (still to be verified)
by changing the profile patch for ESR away from .mozilla to something
else (.mozilla-esr?) but this will be an openSUSE specific thing!

Parallel installations would be perfect, but if it's too much work,
having MozillaFirefox and firefox-esr conflict is also ok. Unless someone
steps up to help, you'll have to do the work, so you decide ;-)

BTW: AFAIK Debian ships firefox and firefox-esr. I don't know the details,
but a quick look indicates that they don't have conflicts. I know for
sure [1] that Debian uses /usr/lib/firefox-esr/ paths, so it's likely
that they allow parallel installation.

Do you know the Debian maintainer so that you could ask if/how they
handle the user profile? If not, I can try to get you in contact via the
Debian AppArmor maintainers ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] I've seen an AppArmor profile they want to include ;-)
Also, https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/firefox-esr/filelist
is quite helpful ;-)

--
Because dirkmueller is bugowner and two times maintainer (wow!)
it seems he is three times responsible (WOW!) in contrast to you,