Re: [opensuse-factory] Xeon E3 1240 v5 Skylake and Leap 42.3
On 09/08/17 10:42 AM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On mercredi, 9 août 2017 15.44:24 h CEST Roman Bysh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of updating my hardware. Am I going to have any problem
> with the Xeon E3 1240 v5 Skylake CPU, Gigabyte WS and EVGA GeForce GTX 1050
> Ti SC 4GB GDDR5 and Crucial 16 GB of 2133 DDR4 RAM?

If you don't have a specific need for Xeon, I would avoid them :-)
Long firmware update at boot (most of the time).
Pick one regular powerful I7 and use the saved money to bought more ram ;-)

Facts etablished with a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1535M v5 @ 2.90GHz

> Should I go for ECC RAM? I know it will run on regular
Depending of what you want to do, yes ECC is nice to have.

But I'm on tumbleweed ;-)

This will be my workstation. The reason I chose the E3 1240 v5 is that it
doesn't have an IGPU
and I'm able to buy it for $366 CDN so I'm saving $90!!

The graphics are provided by my GeForce 1050 Ti.

I'm using it for running multiple VM from VmWare in addition to running CAD
software.

Cheers!

Roman