Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017

On 02/08/17 12:12, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/08/17 12:11, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
[...]
I have read that there are people still running 13.1, which is one of
the unsupported systems. What to do with the bugs reported by the people
who are running that particular system (-- and same applies to the other
unsupported systems in the list)?
undoubtedly earlier than 13.1. but where do you draw the line? there is
only so much time in the day and only so many capable of solving the bugs.
remember that this is a "volunteer" posiiton, not business supported
product.

what do you do when you need a part for an antique car which is out of
production an no longer supported my the mfg?

it has to have a stopping point which must also consider need and
manpower.

Not a very good example using an antique car to support your argument.
One doesn't drive an antique everyday to either go to work or to go
shopping.

But the 13.1 version I mentioned is actually used in a
working/production environment in a business (I believe) -- which is
different to owning an antique car for the sake of owning an antique.

It doesn't mean that I am blind to the fact that volunteers are involved
in "fixing" the bugs, but with the number of bugs still "on the books"
indicates that something has to be done re the present situation.

Perhaps it needs for someone to be employed by SUSE to look after the
bugs? The bugs obviously affect openSUSE, SLE, and Tumbleweed, all
"flagships" of SUSE. There is already the precedent for this: Richard
spends some of his paid-for time on openSUSE and Tumbelweed matters so
why not have another employed person just to do some PR work by looking
after the bugs situation?

BC

Well the community has decided with its actions to only support so much
and so far back (Evergreen tried to support more but didn't have the
manpower). At the moment the community has a clear list of which
operating systems they will support for how long, bugs outside that time
frame simply won't be fixed if for no other reason then the
infrastructure to build and package applications for those older OS's
have been switched off. So if the bug is not likely to effect newer
versions that are supported there is no reason to keep them open.

I think you'll find most of the open bugs are in packages that are not
supported by SUSE (The SUSE list of supported packages is much smaller
then openSUSE), because generally if a bug is in openSUSE its probably
also in SUSE and worth fixing for our customers and the fix will also go
to openSUSE (especially common now that Leap exists).

From looking at who announced this I suspect a number of SUSE employees
will be contributing to the effort here and that this post was a
invitation for members of the community to join us as well.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30