Re: [opensuse-factory] Why is LibreOffice at 5.4 beta2 version in TW?
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:07:38 +0200 Richard Brown wrote:
> My guess is because the maintainer thinks it's stable, submitted it,
> and because openQA has tested it and found no problems
>
> Sure looks like it's working to me..
> https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/433060#step/ooffice/5

Well, yes, it "works" of course, in the sense of it opening and allowing simple "Hello World" documents. But as somebody who lives day in and day out inside LibreOffice, it doesn't seem like a good idea. LibreOffice devs know their project best, and they haven't declared it as stable yet, in fact it's not even at RC. A lot of stuff can go wrong in a beta release of a vastly complicated program like LibreOffice that openQA won't catch, depending on the complexity of the document and the subset of features being used. I'm not saying that there are necessarily any critical bugs in this particular release, but it just seems strange as a matter of principal that a development version of software is being pushed into a stable rolling distro when there is a perfectly good stable version available for that same software.