Re: [opensuse-factory] csh.cshrc has multiple problems
On 06/25/2017 02:53 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:

I've just filed to more bugs (one was already reported):

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=csh.cshrc

One of the new reports that I see there today appears to be a duplicate
of bug 1044674 (which I reported a week ago or so).

SOAP BOX

The distro should not provide "csh.cshrc" at all. And I have a similar
view about "csh.login", "bash.bashrc" and other startup scripts. It
should provide "csh.cshrc.example". And, during the install (presumably
of the "tcsh" package, if there is no "csh.cshrc", the install finish
script for that package can copy the example file.

And I have a similar view about "csh.login", "bash.bashrc" and other
startup scripts.

1: The shell startup scripts should really be local files, to be managed
by the local sysadmin.

2: If Xorg needs environment variable to run properly, those should be
set in the X startup scripts, not in the shell startup scripts.

I did once try removing "csh.cshrc", and X would not start. So I had to
put it back. I now have a ".csh.expert" script whose main job is to
undo all of the unwanted crap that "csh.cshrc" forces on me.