Re: OT: Userfriendliness of mailing list, was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.3: Only GTK apps start, all others segfault at startup
On 2017-06-18 19:43, Larx wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 18.06.2017, 12:36 +0200 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
The main reason for the request to use susepaste is politeness.
Ie, not forcing all the subscribers to download large posts that they
are not interested in. Remember that there are still people using bad
internet connections and others that have to pay for each megabyte
they
download.

Another reason is that pasting a log file into an email often makes
the
line wrap making it difficult to read. Instead uploading intact to
somewhere keeps the long lines.

This is slightly (completely) OT, but I really had to convince myself
to sign in to a mailing list one again. When I started about probably
20 years ago, it was OK to have mailboxes full of list traffic. Now I
have other priorities in live, and nowadays am used to have e.g. user
friendly forums with attachments for logs, Github issue pages, the
option to selectively follow only the topics I'm interested, and so on.
I can concentrate on other things in life than browsing through lists.

As I like SUSE and want to have an usable 42.3, I once again plunged in
the openSUSE infrastructure and am appalled at how backwards (sorry)
this all seams. Mailinglists with 90ies interfaces, unusable on mobile,
a completely seperate place to put logs, and a Bugzilla with a strange
UI (compare it to others), where I have to create an account which
wants to know all kinds of things from me as if I am a corporate
customer of Novell.

A mailing list is the same thing anywhere. The interface is your mail
client.

And about the bugzilla account, there is one link somewhere that doesn't
ask that much. But I don't remember it.

I am really also appalled to hear network traffic limitations as a
reason for this - time has moved on and we should not longer take 33.6k
modems into account.

The entire world is not modernized.
At home, I have unlimited and fast internet.
When not at home, I have less speed, and a monthly cap.

Without considering third world countries, the other day we were talking
about what internet connection some people get on Australia, and it is
not brilliant at all.

Sorry for the OT, but all this came into my mind when trying to take
part in the openSUSE world once again.

This complete infrastructure is unworthy of this great distro!!

You could contribute to make it better.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.