Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Tumbleweed now full of PIE
On 16.06.2017 12:42, Marcus Meissner wrote:
Hi,

It might not have been obvious, but if you read Dominiques E-Mails, you will
notice
that the transition to GCC 7 we also did another transition.

Tumbleweed is now built with PIE (Position Independend Executables) as
default.

This is achieved by a gcc defaults override in the "gcc-PIE" package.

This allows full ASLR (address space randomization) for all binaries without
specific need to change your actual package, making attacks much harder.

While I am still fixing some stragglers where the default did not trigger,
and subtracting the packages where PIE was too tricky currently (emacs,
qemu, small number of others), I would estimate a 97% coverage at
this time. An rpmlint check will be added.

Finally. :) Great achievement! Thanks!

Ubuntu compiles the games as PIE since around 2012 already. With ugtrain
and scanmem I still have the only Linux game cheating tools with PIE
support.

Introducing PIE makes all other game trainers freezing/refilling static
memory values useless. :) Thanks for getting the competition out of the way!

Cheers,
Sebastian