Re: [opensuse-factory] out of curiosity - / grow from 10 to 12GB
On 04/06/17 01:03 PM, Peter Mc Donough wrote:
How big is your disk drive, overall?

Really big enough.
I have three OS on a 250GB SSD, each with 20GB for / and 10GB for /home plus
SSD
space for virtual machines, plus 1TB HDD for all that for which an SSD could
be
useful but is not yet cheap enough to retire the HDD.

So you've got a lot of rust.
But what part of this pertains to the system under discussion?

By deduction, it can't be the one of the three on the 250GB SSD since you say
they have 20GB for /. Your /home seems starved.

I'm not sure that the "all that" in the 1T HHD means.

So where is this 10G / ?

or do you mean that its actually 10G used on a 20G allocated?
Please show a "df -h" rather than a "du"

I think LVM is usefull if several physical drives are combined.

Well, yes, it is that, but I use if even on single drive machines for "deferred
design", that is, I don't need to make hard and fast space allocation
provisioning up front. or correcting an imbalance: too much given to one FS and
not enough to another. Or a Thin Pool :-)

With a single
SSD the procedure has changed, you simply take away space from one partition
and
allocate it to an other.

Well, that's one way of describing what you do with LVM :-)
And with LVM you can do it with a running system and with mounted file systems
that are in active use.

So how has the procedure changed with SSD? You have to stop the machine,
repartition and then reboot type of changed?

--
Do you want the truth, or a well-designed machination brought
into existence solely for the stroking of your ego?