Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit support lifetime
On Sat, 2017-06-03 at 19:17 +0200, Oliver Kurz wrote:
On Friday, 2 June 2017 21:45:06 CEST Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but -- how long
is
the 32-bit version of Tumbleweed going to be supported with new
patches? I'm just curious because Leap and SLE are only 64-bit.

I hold it like this with i586: as long as I can without alienating
the
entire distro.

One thing needs to be said clearly here though: the test coverage
is
only on x86_64 - on i586 we just have a couple minimal tests left
in
openQA. So in the end, we know it builds and is 'generally
installable'
. Any test beyond that is not covered (and, as we just have seen
with
Thunderbird: a fix that worked for x86_64 did not cover i586). Of
course we will try to fix even that problem.

What holds us back from adding more i586 tests to openQA? We don't
expect it
to "look different", right? So I guess either capacity for testing or
it just
has not been done?

We had them - nobody wanted to care for them in time - and if it just
doubles the number of red dots *I* have to look after, I am not
interested very much in that.

Testing the stuff is one part of the equation - fixing potential
fallouts another (and note: we do not have testing setup in any of teh
stagings - adding that on the staging in plus will put a burden on OBS
and openQA - not that it's a problem per se, but needs to be
considered)

Cheers

Dominique
< Previous Next >