Re: [opensuse-factory] Tallying the quality of package descriptions
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 11:32:33 +0200
On Friday, 19 May 2017 10:55 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Put yourself in a reviewer's shoes for a moment. The rpmlint check
about this summary thing is pretty old - and afaik not even a SUSE
thing, but an upstream check.

Sure - but there was a proposal to promote this warning to an error.
I seriously doubt promoting it to an error would be significanly easier
than dropping it.

Plus it's really easy to fix if you see it. And the fact that packages
are submitted without it being fixed indicates to reviewers that
people ignore rpmlint (and they are right as far as my person is
concerned :).

Yes, easy to fix... Just talking about summary, IIRC it's

- must not end with a period
- must not start with uppercase (or lowercase? Can't remember) letter
- must not start with an article
- must not contain package name (which is funny if it's a common word)
- must not be longer than description (even for subpackages)

Sometimes it's really frustrating; and after having to rebuild the whole
package just to hit another check, frustration quickly turns to anger.

But if packagers ignore rpmlint, it's up to the reviewers to have a
look if (more important) warnings were ignored. And this is a
tiresome work and if you do it often a day your focus shifts towards
details. Thankfully our review team *does* it often a day and it's an
important part of our development process. So bear with them heading
into details and support them by not questioning *everything* they
say.

I do not question everything, far from it. As I said, I'm trying to
eliminate as many warnings as possible (except e.g. writing 20 manual
pages which do not exist in upstream). Even those I find pointless. But
if someone suggests to turn "summary should not end with a period" into
hard error, I'm sorry, that's way over the line.

Michal Kubeček