Re: [opensuse-factory] Tallying the quality of package descriptions
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 10:44:43 +0200
On Friday, 19 May 2017 10:04 Simon Lees wrote:
I'm not saying every warning should be fixed, from the perspective of
someone on the review team it does make our jobs much easier when
there are less warnings, we then have to go through and work out if
the warning is an actual issue or not so it would be much nicer if
warnings that aren't going to be fixed are properly suppressed. In
most cases when I see a warning for a . in the summary i'll probably
ask you to go back and fix it (or if I have the time i'll take the 5
mins to fix it myself and create a new SR), having this particular
one as a error instead of a warning would just save us a little time
in the future and lets face it the vast majority of packages are fine
anyway.

One more heretic idea... Can you possibly imagine a world where there
would be no such warning at all and you (and other reviewers) wouldn't
have to pester anyone about it? I can and I don't see it as a horrible
place where no packager would wan't to live. After all, when you brought
the topic of saving time... wouldn't dropping the warning save most?

And just because we are talking about the related topic of Summaries
doesn't mean we can't keep talking about descriptions as well, I just
didn't have much to add on that topic.

I'm afraid you completely missed the point. And, ironically, exactly in
the sense of what my e-mail was about: focusing on a completely
unimportant detail and missing the bigger picture.

I really didn't mind jumping from descriptions to summaries. The e-mail
was about my concern that openSUSE reviewers focus on fighting
completely irrelevant "problems", keep inventing new pointless checks
and enforcing existing ones harder. Concern that they convinced
themselves about importance of enforcing these formal requirements and
achieving absolute uniformity so much that they are unable to see how
annoying this has become for package maintainers.

Do not take me wrong; in no way I want to say all checks are pointless.
But some of them definitely are ("summary should not end with a period"
is one of them) and I'm really worried to see that the overall attitude
among reviewers is that they should be enforced even harder rather than
discarded. And that more and more should be added.

Michal Kubeček