Re: [opensuse-factory] Adding features into zypper...
On Friday 28 April 2017 11:56:38 Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:
On 2017-04-27 15:25, Marco Calistri wrote:
So my final question is: why *we cannot implement* such very usefuls
(IMHO) features also in openSUSE?

I think, one major problem was that we would need some extra bits per
package, such as if we know that it was pulled in as a dependency or
explicitly requested by the user
because as I understood it, such info is currently extracted from
/var/log/zypp/history
which is not a good place to update it.

No, since 13.2/SLE12 we don't refer to the history file anymore.

M.Andres wanted the bits to be kept in the rpm DB, but that would need
some format changes that would be hard to bring upstream.
Though I guess, it would not be so hard to make some own(to libzypp)
database files for it. Even a DB in plain text files.

Yes, it would be nice to have those bits in the rpm DB, but it's not required.

We do have a 'database' of auto-installed packages
(/var/lib/zypp/AutoInstalled)
and this is what e.g. 'zypper remove --clean-deps' or
'zypper packages --unneeded' use to determine which
packages may not be needed anymore.

What we currently don't have are zypper commands to inspect and manipulate the
auto-installed database. Without this you can't influence the amount of
cleanup. That's one of the reasons why there is currently no 'autoclean'
command (and we suggest to keep 'solver.cleandepsOnRemove = false' in the
zypp.conf).

One of the next zypper versions will start to display the 'auto-installed'
status in 'search' and 'info' command output. Next we'll add commands to
manipulate this status. Then we can think about an 'autoclean' command.

--

cu,
Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862 27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4