[opensuse-factory] openSUSE Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2017/12
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

What a week! Tumbleweed once again is the first (to my knowledge) to
ship the just released GNOME 3.24.0 as part of its main repository.
Being shipped to the users in less than 48 hours since the official
release announcement is something we can only do thanks to all the
automatic building and testing AND the efforts put into the packages!
If packagers would not be at the ball the whole time, this would not be
possible. Even though the week has seen ‘only’ 4 snapshots (0317, 0318,
0320 and 0322) the changes delivered to the user base is enormous.

The major changes this week were:

  * GNOME 3.24.0 – Released on March 22nd, part of snapshot 0322
  * The YaST Teams work regarding the desktop selection workflow [0]
  * qemu 2.8.0
  * Linux kernel 4.10.4
  * Mozilla Firefox 52 – NOTE: no more support for NPAPI plugins
  * GCC 7 is available as optional compiler (distro still built using
gcc6 though)
  * More work to get the ‘system user’ situation changed, having
special packages creating the users [1]

One important note at this point: again there were users falling into
the trap with incomplete updated systems with snapshot 0322.
Important: """zypper up""" is NOT the right thing to keep your
Tumbleweed system running.
Use """zypper dup [--no-allow-vendor-change]"""

Things currently being prepared for you

  * GCC7 as default compiler – this might still take a while, but it IS
coming
  * KDE Plasma 5.9.4
  * Linux kernel 4.10.5 – and beyond
  * More python packages converted to singlespec

For the next three weeks, Tumbleweed will be given in the careful care
of Max and Ludwig, while I will be enjoying some time off. As is usual
when teams are running on lower resources, it is possible that
snapshots might be delayed a little bit, but I don’t fear to much for
that: you can continue submitting as you’re used to – just in case of
some delays, please show some understanding. I’m sure Max and Ludwig
will be there for you if you need any help. Also, in this period, I
will not provide the weekly reviews. I might try to do a recap once I’m
back, but no promises there.

Cheers,
Dominique

[0] https://lizards.opensuse.org/2017/02/20/highlights-of-yast-developm