Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On 28.02.2017 04:29, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
27.02.2017 22:07, Stefan Seyfried пишет:
I guess you have an extra systemd instance running for your user?
I won't.

It is usually started automatically

not for XFCE, it seems

but if you intentionally disable it

fortunately, I did not have to do that (yet)

So the executive summary about systemd timers is:
* not started if the user is not logged in or does not use GNOME
* do not mail the output of the job
* jobs might get killed in unexpected ways

(and probably, even though it's hard to imagine, but from all things
systemd I had to look at over the last years I have some evidence that
suggest it, the performance will be abysmal)

Cron has not disappointed me during the last almost 20 years, so I'll
probably be using it happily for another 20.
--
Stefan Seyfried