Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On Monday 27 February 2017, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2017-02-27 13:38, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Beside this I personally don't like that distribution's units,
timers, etc. are usually installed into /usr. In past mostly
everything which happens on a system could be found in /etc.

If you really find such a system layout attractive, you should quit
using a contemporary GNU/Linux userspace and switch to BSD. There,
everything is like it used to be 20 years ago, including /etc being
the dumping ground for anything and everything

I was not talking about "dumping ground" for everything ... just about
config files belong to /etc.

I don't need stupid timer/service files like
/usr/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.timer
and another
/usr/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.service

which contain only trivial nonsens (e.g: Documentation=man:fstrim) and
they even need another 3rd file in /etc to be activated ....

Is this really better and easier than just placing a one
liner "fstrim -a" into a crontab or into /etc/cron.weekly?

(making things like
factory resets unnecessarily hard, but hey, if you want that).

Ah, you mean rm -rf /etc would do a nice factory reset? I doubt it ...

All systems where I ever made "Factory resets" had some kind of /rom
partitions or overlay file systems. For openSUSE there is a DVD-ROM to
do a Factory reset....

I don't see any reason why one would ever do such a "Factory reset" for
a normal desktop or server distribution. To revert a system to certain
states (not just one useless factory state) we have many techniques
like lvm/qemu/snapper snapshots.

cu,
Rudi