Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?

On 2017-02-27 13:38, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Monday 27 February 2017, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Even in the generic case it doesn't matter what daemon actually
runs /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}. As long as the
scripts are run as expected nobody should care whether it's cron
or systemd. So we could easily get rid of cron in a minimal
install at least.

Hopefully not removing DAILY_TIME functionality in
/etc/sysconfig/cron.

And of course we still need to keep
/etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} for compatibility because
it's not only used by distrubution but by admin's custom scripts.

Yes.

Beside this I personally don't like that distribution's units,
timers, etc. are usually installed into /usr. In past mostly
everything which happens on a system could be found in /etc.
Nowadays weird services or timers might be installed by updates or
new packages and watching /etc (even using git) became useless.

That too.

The shell script that wakes up every 15 minutes just to find out
that there's nothing to do deserves to be reworked after 19 years
of service :-)

I can't remember any issues since at least 15 years. Maybe this is
one good reason to keep it as is.

Indeed! If the current system works, why change it?

BTW on my 42,2 systems I can see only one active timer:
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service

... and this service is really bad in comparison to the old
"clean-tmpfiles script". The old one was carefully developed over
years and did not removed active sockets for example.

Absolutely.
And the current one doesn't seem to clean all tmp files right.

So if we really want to avoid cron's 15min-wakeup thing then I
would suggest only adding 4 systemd timers
hourly,daily,weekly,monthly which simply call the scripts from the
/etc/cron.* dirs in alphabetically order.

At least that. And be able to choose the preferred run time in the
current place.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.