Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:59:54 +0300
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Rüdiger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx> wrote:

On February 26, 2017 8:16:57 PM GMT+01:00, Andrei Borzenkov
<arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
26.02.2017 22:13, Rüdiger Meier пишет:
BTW I still have
not understood if user timers would run for sure if I'm not logged
in.

Not by default. systemd spawns one instance per user when first user
session is opened. Once all sessions are terminated, user instance is
shut down (stopping all units) unless lingering is enabled for this

And already running jobs are just killed?

It goes through normal stop sequence. There are two levels here - user
instance stopping user processes and PID1 stopping user instance. For
the former it is whatever unit definitions contain. Default is to send
SIGTERM and SIGKILL if processes are left after ExecStop (or if there
is no ExecStop). For the latter it is user@.service template, which at
least in current upstream defaults to KillMode=mixed meaning that all
processes still alive will get SIGKILL. You should be able to suppress
it with e.g. KillMode=none or SendSIGKILL=no.

user. Enabling lingering is privileged operation.

When lingering is enabled for a user, user instance is started when
system boots and persists until system is shutdown.

Does this mean there would be 1000 extra processes if I want to use systemd
timers instead of cron for 1000 users? Sounds very stupid.

cu,
Rudi