Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
26.02.2017 15:48, Mathias Homann пишет:
Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2017, 07:50:28 CET schrieb nicholas:
it seems we have 2 systems for default timed events - systemd and cron -
why? - 2 systems is 2X things to learn, 2X things to monitor, 2X things to
go wrong - systemd has a (very) nice interface/overview "systemctl
list-timers --all" - from limited experience cron bugs/problems can be
quite opaque
so why is everything not moved to systemd?

... can systemd timers operate on fixed times, like cron?

For all I know (might be wrong) they operate on fixed intervals, like anacron
jobs... but not at fixed times.

sytemd supports calendar time specification which is functionally
equivalent to cron (at least, original cron). Current git also added
repetition (like "every two hours") similar to notation supported by
modern cron.