Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 07:50:28 +0100, nicholas <ndcunliffe@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

it seems we have 2 systems for default timed events - systemd and cron - why?
- 2 systems is 2X things to learn, 2X things to monitor, 2X things to go wrong

so, keep cron :)

- systemd has a (very) nice interface/overview "systemctl list-timers --all"

nice is in the eye of the beholder. I really really like the simple
ASCII interface of cron. If you start your crontabs with these, lines,
there are no questions left:

--8<---
# minute 0-59
# hour 0-23
# day of month 1-31
# month 1-12 (or names, see below)
# day of week 0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)
-->8---

- from limited experience cron bugs/problems can be quite opaque
so why is everything not moved to systemd?

Portability!

I run projects on Linux (multiple flavors), HP-UX, AIX and probably
some others. For *me* cron is *MUCH* easier to remember than system*

A crontab can just be copied:

# ssh root@othersys carontab -l | crontab -

So, concluding, *if* OpenSUSE decides to move the main cron
functionality to system*, I'd for one would love to see crond be
available as a separate package

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.25 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE