[opensuse-factory] Package relying on ncurses/terminal info fails to build
Hi all,

I maintain the "bats" package (Bash Automated Testing System) in
Factory, and lately the build for Tumbleweed on OBS has started to
fail:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:tools/bats

The build failure occurs while running self-tests in the %check section
of the spec file. Specifically, bats itself invokes "tput cols"
(provided by ncurses-utils) to figure out the console width, which
fails with the following error:

  tput: terminal attributes: No such device or address

This behaviour occurs both on OBS and when running "osc build" locally,
but only for Factory/Tumbleweed - builds for Leap succeed.

The issue first occurred on February 9th, so around that time some
dependency related to the terminal environment must have changed, thus
triggering this issue.

Simple fixes exist, of course: The %check section of the spec file
could be removed, for example. Or I could patch the code to rely on
"stty size" instead of "tput cols".

However, before resorting to work-arounds, I would much prefer if
someone knowledgeable about the low-level terminal stuff could explain
why tput has started failing inside the package build environment -
it's beyond me, I'm afraid.

Anyone?

Regards,
Olav Reinert