Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed snapshot question
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:17:21 +0100
On 12 February 2017 at 11:59, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 11. Februar 2017 23:04:33 MEZ schrieb Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv@xxxxxxxx>:

Zypper calculates 95 problems on my main PC.

This sort of setup should be handled with repo priorities. First home, then
Mozilla, then Packman, then Tumbleweed (or whatever you want the stacking to
be).
Then a simple 'zypper dup' would give a consistent state. This will cover
eventual ABI changes within a repo. This requires that each repo is clean and
carries no duplicated package, which might be the case in badly maintained
repos.

Olaf, your advice only holds true if you trust the admin of the home
repo more than the admin of Mozilla and the admin for Packman more
than the admins of Tumbleweed.

As repo prios automatically switch any and all packages to the repo of
highest priority, unless you can assert that trust with significant
confidence, the advice to use repos is stupid. I would only recommend
priorities with that huge "caveat emptor" attached - Users of
priorities choose to trust these repositories more than the official
openSUSE Project and should understand that they are fully responsible
for anything bad that happens to their machine as a result.

I can count the people who's home repo I would trust to that degree on
one hand, and even then I'd discuss with them a better solution than
using their home repo.

Mozilla, sure, MAYBE, would be the one repo in your list that I would
consider given a higher priority for, because Wolfgang knows what he's
doing and he's earned that trust and shown his capability to
maintainer repositories properly with Evergreen.

But packman, seriously? I hate to be so overly critical but the
administration of Packman has been a joke for years, with terrible ill
informed decisions made by the maintainers.

While packman is slowly improving (and I know I have you to partially
thank for that), this gentlemens 95 errors are symptomatic of the
problems Packman has created and has only recently started to address.

I think it's a long while before I'll trust Packman to the level
you're suggesting here. Proper quality controls, review processes, and
clear policies about what Packman will include and not, are all needed
to improve Packmans credibility in this area.

Until then, please do not recommend priorities, or if you do, please
make sure you fully explain how the priorities allow repository
maintainers control over what packages are on your system and the
risks that come with it.