Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse
Il 11/02/2017 12:54, Simon Lees ha scritto:

On 02/11/2017 10:03 PM, Daniele wrote:
Il 11/02/2017 11:43, Fabian Vogt ha scritto:
Am Samstag, 11. Februar 2017, 13:34:45 CET schrieb Simon Lees:

On 02/11/2017 06:09 AM, Fabian Vogt wrote:
Hi,

In my opinion the role-based selection that SLE has does not fit
openSUSE at all. Instead, I suggest keeping the current appearance
and just change a few things:

I don't mind the role based selection I think its good and simple for
new users, having said that,

If it behaves the same as the current way, calling it "role-based" is
IMO just confusing.

+1.
Desktop selection != role.

Except its doing slightly more then just desktop selection, unless you
define server as no desktop. It could also be expanded oneday for common
server patterns such as LAMP or adding "Console" for people who like to
have lots of console tools either way i'm not strongly attached to the
name but I see the logic of selecting Server / Desktop / Other role.

Daniele.

At this point, you should do two steps:

ROLE -> ROLE STUFF
Desktop->Desktop selection
Workstation->Desktop selection/??
Server->Ftp/Web/File/DB/??

But for me there are too many combinations, it will always be an half solution. Often there's no such clean separation between roles.

The word "role" sounds too much corporative to me. Ok for SLES/SLED but not for openSUSE.

Daniele.