Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:12:13 +0100
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 23:51:39 +0900
Konstantin Voinov <kv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi.

What about expandable list:

1 Workstation:

|--[rb]Minimal (text mode)
|--[rb]Minimal (xdm)
|--[cb]KDE
|--[cb]GNOME
|--[cb]LibreOffice
|--[cb]<Something big else 1>
|--[cb]<Something big else 2>

2 Server:

|--[cb]Samba
|--[cb]Apache
|--[cb] etc...

3 Manual select

rb-radio button
cb-check button

I worry it will be too confusing for beginners, we try to have easy
decisions and if user need something more advanced, that for such
purpose is that custom, which allows to specify any pattern you want.
Also it can easily switch to flame war what should be there and what
not.
Goal of that dialog would be to allow easy UI for common scenarios
like workstation with major desktops and minimal server. For other
users we allows patterns selection and even in summary you can fine
tune it with full software selection if you want. As can be seen in
third gif, picking e.g. lxde is also very easy with it, just one click
more.

Josef

PS I just relised, that is like mc winows install withards :(