Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed snapshot question

On 2017-02-10 01:03, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Jason DeRose <> [02-09-17 18:56]:
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017, at 11:29 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

Please do not recommend priorities

It is very rare that a repository can be trusted implicitly

Especially something like Packman which can, and does, often
include packages which it "shouldn't" (just like it used to
have its own fdupes until recently)

The best method is to rely on zyppers vendor logic, so a user
can cherry pick WHICH packages they want from which vendor, and
then rely on zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change to keep things
that way.

But how does a user know which packages they want? The
recommended method for switching to packman is to switch the
vendor for all currently installed system packages to the packman
repo. That just assumes that at the random point in time that
they have added the repo, that it will be correct, and that in
the future, it will no longer be correct. If packman adds a new
package that the user SHOULD have, it would get stuck to the
official repos.

You should use packman for items which are drm constricted on
openSUSE, ie: audio/video such as mp3...

The list of packages that one should get from packman is large. You
not only need "the obvious", but also replace many other libs for
consistency, from the same repo. It is not trivial to manually choose
which to use.

One method is to switch all that do exist.

Another is to go to https://software.opensuse.org/codecs, or to
https://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats, and from there to
http://opensuse-community.org/, then use the one click.

Sometimes I'd seen a list of packages there, but today I don't.

Another source of info is to go to
https://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php, then seek "multimedia", then
search for the sticky "Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 42.2"

Unfortunately, I do not have permissions to read the resulting link.
But a page or two below there is what seems another copy. And there is
a list of packages to change to packman.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.