[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed snapshot question
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 08:57:42 +0100
I have been using Tumbleweed on a couple of machines, and it is
working great. I like having a machine that is rather current.

I am wondering about the best strategy to keep Tumbleweed up-to-date.

When we get the automated e-mail that there is a new snapshot, a new
ISO is also created. Obviously, a fresh install will have the packages
as described in the e-mail. All packages in the ISO pass QA. This is
fine for a new Tumbleweed install.

On an existing Tumbleweed, if I do a zypper dup, isn't it the case
that I would get the packages described in the latest e-mail about a
snapshot - as well as any packages that have been updated and are
perhaps destined for the next snapshot. That is, a zypper dup is not
limited to the packages in the last Tumbleweed snapshot that have
passed QA.

These Tumbleweed packages that have been published in OBS may not pass
an eventual Tumbleweed snapshot QA to be in the snapshot, right? So I
could possibly install a Tumbleweed package that is in OBS that will
fail Tumbleweed QA? It won't be in the snapshot, but it may be in OBS.

If this is the case, what would be the best way to keep Tumbleweed
up-to-date without the risk of installing these OBS packages with an
unknown QA status?

Am I making sense?

--
Roger Oberholtzer