Re: [opensuse-factory] s2disk = hibernate issues
Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2017, 14:49:41 CET schrieb Oliver Neukum:
Am Mittwoch, den 25.01.2017, 12:25 +0100 schrieb AW:

Intel graphics, probably i915.

Good.

echo disk > /sys/power/state

I should explain more. This will hibernate your machine in
kernel space. It lacks most of the features s2disk provides,
but a bare bones hibernation should work.

If this works, we know s2disk itself is buggy.
If this works, the kernel causes the problem.

OK,

# echo disk > /sys/power/state

as root. Screen becomes black, LED for "on" goes out. After pressing the start
button PC wakes up, desktop appears. But the desktop responds very slowly.
After a while I typed into Yakuake

# killall plasmashell
plasmashell: Kein Prozess gefunden

Plasmashell says »no process found«, so I guess it crashed. After

#kstart plasmashell

desktop is not back to normal, it still is lagging, but usuable. Gets better
after some minutes. Maybe because I'm using two screens.

HTH! However, thank you!

Wouldn't it be an easy test just to install the latest 4.8 kernel, boot it and
see how it works? Unfortunately, I don't know, where to get an older TW
kernel.

Your problem is limited to your hardware.

This is a Lenovo Thinkpad, not really new: T450s. This has been sold two years
ago a lot.

I can hibernate.
Presumably most people can, as we would have more reports otherwise.
Problems specific to some hardware OpenQA cannot catch.

Neither can I or anybody without your kind of hardware bisect
the kernel. For us hibernate works under all kernel releases.
I cannot speak for KDE. For i915 testing needs real hardware.
If you want I can try to explain how bisecting is done.

This would be a "suspenseful" thing, but I'm on a very narrow landline (1 Mbit
/s) today and downloading the kernel-sources and installing git is out of my
time budget today. I'll send an email to you and Takashi with about 1 MB
hwinfo. Again: Thank you for your help.

--

Alexander