Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
On Dienstag, 24. Januar 2017 20:32:55 CET Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 23.01.2017 um 15:37 schrieb Thorsten Kukuk:
/opt is for ISVs and they can write user data there, like databases.
You don't want to loose changes to that data during rollback.

I do not yet use snapper and btrfs, and after reading this, I'm glad I
don't.

If I would put my application on my production server in /opt, then
later attempt to update it, I certainly would expect to be able to roll
back from that failed attempt.

Of course you are free to put opt under snapper control as well, but you are
not forced to do it - /opt is explicitly out of the control of the
distribution.

If /opt were included in the snapshots by default, you would be for sure one
of the first persons calling names for taking it out of your control.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns / Bergstraße 21 / 52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019