Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:59:09 +0100
Dne neděle 22. ledna 2017 12:00:19 CET, Thorsten Kukuk napsal(a):
On Sun, Jan 22, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
But /var/cache/squid has to be owned by someone so it can be cleanup in
case of removal of squid package.

And that is an error in reasoning: /var/cache/squid will not be deleted
if you deinstall squid, because this directory would still contain files.
So after deinstallation of squid, if you have a directory /var/cache/squid
which is not owned by any package. That the package was formerly owned
by squid does not help you in any way, except if you did never configure
and run squid. It is only helpful as long as the package is installed.
(Which does not mean I'm in favour of removing this directory from the
packagelist, only the reason why it is important for de-installation
is wrong).

May I ask how such cleanup should be done after removal of the package? I'm
sorry, I'm bit confused. And little bit moving it into philosophy: generally,
if I uninstall something and after some time I install it back. Should I start
with empty settings or continue where I interrupted usage of that software
(configuration as well as data?.

Generally, I like the idea, it seems to be very robust method. Do I understand
it correctly, that as soon as I continue work in userpsace (e.g. with browser
or office application), I can safely postpone reboot? But what about
applications writing something into /tmp?

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux