Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
On Sat, Jan 21, opensuse.lietuviu.kalba wrote:

2017.01.21 15:46, Thorsten Kukuk rašė:
Hello,

I would like to announce a new package in Tumbleweed:
"transactional-update".

Nice idea! But for installation of critical packages, maybe would be better
to use this schema:

1) just download critical RPMs (don't install emediately);

2) at next reboot (or re-login, depending on situation), at early stage of
boot, do installation of thees RPMs;

That's what windows is doing. The disadvantage is, that your machine
is blocked until all updates are installed. And that had already
really bad ramifications for some people (I will bring examples at FOSDEM).
This is exactly what we don't want.

And, as I wrote, the original project is using a read-only filesystem,
where your idea would not work at all.

Thorsten