Re: [opensuse-factory] Could tracker _not_ be included with Xfce installations?
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 11:39 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 17:13 +0200, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

If you, like me, run both GNOME and KDE changing the "OnlyShowIn"
by
removing
"KDE;" is a good thing to do. My experience is that having
tracker
and baloo
running at the same time makes KDE less responsive, to put it
mildly.

See my earlier mail - I don't think it's a great idea.

What is likely done to few is telling tracker of locations it
should
not scan (e.g large git trees or the lice). Simply putting an empty
file .trackerignore is sufficient and it will not go there.

Tracker is by no means as heavy on the disk as people keep on
yelling -
it is not beagle

That has not been my experience at all.  Occasionally tracker gets
pulled in by packages that I wouldn't expect to need a full disk
indexer (or that don't actually need on, but pull it in due to how
tracker is packaged), and system responsiveness immediately goes out
the window.

somethings you might not expect link the tracker libraries - the
tracker libraries recommend the presence of tracker (which makes sense
I'd say - the libs main purpose is to talk to the tracker daemons)

As with any recommended package it can be 'locked' for as long as you
don't need stuff that really requires it's presence

(and: tracker does no FULL DISK indexing! That's a stupid thing to do
and is useless - it only indexes your home directory and anything you
might have configured in plus)

Still: people confuse this with how bad beagle was - there is no
denying: beagle was bad and everybody is happy it is dead.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >