Re: [opensuse-factory] Could tracker _not_ be included with Xfce installations?
  • From: Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 17:41:24 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 28. September 2016, 16:39:29 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar:
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 15:58 +0200, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:

And maybe tracker should not be autostarted in other desktops than
GNOME at
all.

And then people come complain that GNOME Photos, GNOME Music et.al do
not show content when running outside of the GNOME session

Ok.

But then there's one thing I don't understand:
Why is the autostart restricted to *some* desktops (GNOME, KDE and XFCE in
particular, the rest probably doesn't matter in openSUSE)?

There are more desktops around.

E.g. if you happen to have tracker installed and login to KDE,
tracker is
running as well in addition to KDE's file indexer (baloo). So your
files get
indexed twice without any apparent benefit.

Except if you run GNOME integrated apps on your KDE Session - otherwise
you should not install tracker

Yeah, it's just that something else might pull it in without you noticing.

Like the XFCE pattern.

Or, I noticed tracker running on a KDE-only system which I upgraded from 13.1
to 13.2, just a standard 13.1 KDE install without installing much extra.
No idea what exactly pulled it in though. I just uninstalled it back then (2
years ago) and didn't investigate.

We can of course change the autostart - but then decline all future
bugs for software depending on the indexer to find appropriate
content...

How many bug reports did you get for tracker not running on IceWM, twm, LXDE,
MATE, Cinnamon, WindowMaker, Enlightenment, ... so far? ;-)

I don't think many KDE users will depend on those "GNOME integrated apps"
though. And if they do, they should be able to make sure tracker is starting
on login (ideally it should start if something wants to use it, but that's
probably not perfect either as it would have to create the index first).

Not sure how to solve this in the distribution though.
The actual problem lies on a different level I think.
E.g. all KDE applications I can think of right now work fine without KDE's
indexer running. Dolphin even falls back to using grep in that case... ;-)

Anyway, it wasn't me who started this thread...

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang