Re: [opensuse-factory] Could tracker _not_ be included with Xfce installations?
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:39:30 -0400
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 17:13 +0200, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

If you, like me, run both GNOME and KDE changing the "OnlyShowIn" by
removing
"KDE;" is a good thing to do. My experience is that having tracker
and baloo
running at the same time makes KDE less responsive, to put it
mildly.

See my earlier mail - I don't think it's a great idea.

What is likely done to few is telling tracker of locations it should
not scan (e.g large git trees or the lice). Simply putting an empty
file .trackerignore is sufficient and it will not go there.

Tracker is by no means as heavy on the disk as people keep on yelling -
it is not beagle

That has not been my experience at all. Occasionally tracker gets
pulled in by packages that I wouldn't expect to need a full disk
indexer (or that don't actually need on, but pull it in due to how
tracker is packaged), and system responsiveness immediately goes out
the window.